United States of America

As a child, I always dreamed of traveling to America. I was fascinated by the American lifestyle. Even today, I still dream of traveling to America (again). These days, however, it's to explore the diverse states, discover the impressive nature and get to know one or two cities better!

Destinations in the US:

New York City

The Big Apple; the city that never sleeps; the cosmopolitan city on the east coast of the USA. New York has many names and just as many faces. Because each of the 5 boroughs of New York has its very own face. What do I mean by that?




The USA consists of 50 federal states.
The capital is Washington D.C.


The national language is English.



In the USA, the US dollar (USD) is used for payment. EUR 1 is roughly equivalent to USD 1.08.


Entry & Visas

You will need your passport to enter the USA. This must be valid at least up to and including the day of departure. An identity card is not sufficient for entry.

In principle, a visa or ESTA is also required to enter the USA. The ESTA is a tourist visa that can be easily applied for online. It is valid for vacation and business trips to the USA lasting no longer than 90 days.

Please note that drugs and some foods such as fruit, meat, seeds or dairy products may not be imported into the USA.


The time zones can vary within the USA. UTC-9 applies on the west coast, while the time zone UTC-6 applies on the east coast.


Credit cards & ATMs

There are ATMs almost everywhere in the cities and you can actually pay by card everywhere. Outside of cities and in smaller restaurants, however, you should carry cash with you.


Best time to visit

It depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. For the southwest and east, the months from April to November are best. On the west coast, temperatures are most bearable between April and June. It is better not to travel to the dry states (Arizona, Utah and Nevada) between July and mid-September, as the temperatures can be unbearable. Overall, many parts of the USA have a pleasant climate, especially in spring (April to June) and fall (September to October). You can take city trips all year round.



For EU citizens, the national driver's license is sufficient. This is because Europeans can drive in the USA for up to 90 days with their driver's license. Otherwise, you will need an international driver's license. For the most part, the road network is well developed and the roads are in good condition.

Some of the traffic signs and rules may differ from those in Central Europe. The speed limits also vary from state to state. It is best to find out about the traffic rules at your destination before you travel.

As driving under the influence of alcohol can quickly land you in prison, you should only ever get behind the wheel without being under the influence of alcohol, regardless of any drink-drive limits.



If you use your home SIM card, you will have to expect high roaming charges. These vary from provider to provider. You should therefore get an American or international SIM card if the Wi-Fi in your accommodation, restaurants or public places is not enough for you. I can recommend Airalo for vacationers. If you are in America for a longer period of time, Mint Mobile offers good conditions.